Apr 9, 2007

the facts are in and we're voting stan

A little while back, we (the residents of the basket) decided to eat at new places when we go out to eat. So far we’ve eaten at these new places:

-Stan’s Diner – ahh, stan’s. Good fries, good ice, good shakes, best grilled cheese in town (no offense, café west). But what really puts it over the edge is the ambience. I’ve yet to have a meal there where I didn’t end up singing aloud.
-Pete’s Lunch – obviously a place for regulars, wood paneling, red leather booths and $5.95 for a grilled cheese that doesn’t include fries. Best cheeseburger I’ve had in a coon’s age. And I’m in good company. Willie Nelson stopped by in 2003 to leave ‘Uncle Pete’ an inspiring quote on the wall.
-Bennihana – not the show I had expected, best fried rice in the world, mmmm. and the mangoladas are totally worth the $6
-Beehive Tea Room – snobbiest ever. but giant ‘You Can Do It Brucie’ type chocolate cake, real crème (and plenty of it) in their puffs and yummy lemon cranberry scones and fresh berries with cream and sugar. Oh yeah, and they serve tea.
-J Dawgs – I know, I’m the last person in town to eat here. And I’m kicking myself for waiting so long. Most obvious match ever: I love hot dogs. I love eating outside. I love special sauce.
-Thai kitchen – runny curry, great pad thai, weird service. but give em a break, they’re only 14 and running a restaurant
-Swagat – sorry, Raj. But the food just wasn’t really very good. And it took a few hours to finish our meal. And you made my friend take that gross rose milk yogurt ice thing. Overall, I’d describe the experience as: confusing.
-Great Steak Sandwich Co. - so good. so good. great fries, great steak and cheese sandwich. grilled cheese with the perfect crunch. they don't dust their blinds but they have cute tables and the banter between the lone teenage waitress and the lone teenage cook alone was enough to make the trip worthwhile.
-Settebello - napolian wood-fired pizza inside. cute green bricks outside. everything i've tried has been good but i can't get over the margherita. one size fits all which makes ordering easy. a little (like 2.5x) more $$ then little caesar's. pizza club approved.
-Boston Deli - underground deli with lots of options but nothing too scary. i had the meatball sandwich. toasty and tasty and messy and homemade meatballs and hearty sauce. even with this satisfying thing in my hands, i still envied every person at the table because there isn't a bad thing on the menu. plus, you can watch people's legs as they walk up and down the stairs.

Next on our list:
Keith’s Lunch
Lon’s Cookin’ Shack (I feel obligated, since I stare at/breathe in Lon’s every day)
Hot Dog King
Pudding on the Rice

Any other suggestions?

8 comments:

Jonas said...

Facts: They are fourteen. They mumble. They did not want to be there.

Jonas said...

Other facts: Cardigans are bootleg. However, if you are over 40 and bald cardigans are no longer bootleg.

hanner said...

Nicolitalia! I don't know how to spell it!

Marcilyn said...

If you want a meal that is not under $20, you should go to Snake Creek Grill in Heber.

Del Taco, seriously. We don't have those in Washington. Crinkly cut fries and tacos. d-lish!

megan said...

Sam Hawk. The bulgogi is heavenly. And I don't even really like beef.

ap said...

pancake night

meredith said...

Call me creepy but I came across your blog and have to comment.
1. I have been going to Pete's lunch since I was twelve. Julie, the only waitress, knows my order. Can't be that.
2. We went to thai kitchen a few weeks ago. We were thrown off by it being in a single wide.
3.We have been meaning to go to Hot Dog King for ages because come on, King of Hot Dogs?
4. Bangkok Thai has the best green curry I have ever had.
5.I sound like a fat kid.

kate said...

creepy is caring. hey, wanna live together? see. caring.