Jul 9, 2012

Matt and Mom and then Dad meet Brooklyn

We've been luckier than I ever expected we would when we moved here and had so many friends and family visit. Somehow we've seen 6 siblings and 2 parents in the last month and a half. But I think these last 2 sets of visitors will officially be our last before THE visitor makes her appearance. (At least I hope she gets here before my mom is back to help.) First up were brother Matt and my mom at the end of their long train/baseball stadium trip. (Something I need to do some time in my life.) Matt took all these great pictures and I'm stealing them to show you. Thanks, Matt.
 
They were a bit weary of their travels so we were on the same pace. Perfect for some lounging in Prospect Park on Sunday.























We started Monday morning with another rainy trip to Ellis and Liberty Islands. There is so much to see on Ellis Island, we saw completely different galleries than I did with the sisters. Is it unrealistic to want this ceiling in my own house?
  
After a traditional Shake Shack lunch with Regan in the park, we went home to rest (obviously) and blow-dry our clothes because we were all on our last pair of pants and we got soaked on the walk home (really) and headed down to Coney Island for a surprisingly pleasant/dry baseball game. Disappointing concession options (no snocones! no pizza!) but the Beach Bum dancers and the circus rings around the lights made up for that?
  
Tuesday we did some shopping (Purl Soho, you little devil) and then ate lunch at Chelsea Market. We had yummy deli sandwiches and even found mom some full-fat milk with cream settled on top. Then topped it off with "the best oatmeal raisin cookie she's ever had". Then to the highline for some wandering/sitting/people-watching. Here we made the new discovery that at 23rd street, you can see straight down to the edge of the island on both sides, pretty cool.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

That evening we took a sunset walk across Brooklyn Bridge and the views did not disappoint. Lots of colors and sky things happening.

















And a picture with people! We ended the night with Grimaldi's (and ice cream cones from the pier while we waited in line at Grimaldi's).

And then 2 days later, my Dad came! Yes, my parents are happily married, they just couldn't coordinate their schedules perfectly on this trip. Maybe next time? I feel like we were rather boring hosts for my dad. We went to another Coney Island baseball game but this time it was a Friday night instead of a Monday night so it was a bit trashier, hotter, more crowded, etc. Still, hard to beat a minor minor league summer baseball game. The next morning, we walked through the park to the farmer's market and bought some fruit and pastries then ate them on our way home. It was too blasted hot to be outside much so we hibernated the afternoon away. We did at least manage to scrounge up a mini-project that required a drill to keep the men happy.

 
And then! We went to Brooklyn Bridge Park and found some street cart food and a table sitting on the water front with 3 chairs around it and everything was wonderful. The sun was setting, the air finally cooling, and the city was just far enough away to look really magical. I think my dad liked this, I think he was even telling someone how much he liked it on the phone right then.

 
And then we took a similar picture with even worse lighting on our walk across the bridge.

Man, I love my family.
Man, this post is long.

8 comments:

Veronica said...

I really enjoyed this post. Thanks. I hope I get to visit you and your next visitor some day.

Veronica said...

Maybe at Christmas cause we'll be in Philadelphia but we can discuss that later/not in a blog comment.

Kristine said...

lovin the posts as usual. great update. visitors are the best. makes it nice to live in a place where there is lots of exploring to do.

Lacey said...

So basically you need me to convince Johnny to make it 7 siblings? I could probably manage that.

upto12 said...

Regan has perfected the thoughtful face. Every picture he just nails it. Good work, Regan.

momacita said...

Comment: Your father has been bragging about that magical meal on the pier to everyone he can find. I'm convinced he thinks he had much more fun there than we ever had at Grimaldi's.

regan said...

Glad someone finally noticed. thanks Matt.

shayna said...

Wait, where exactly can I find the best oatmeal cookie ever? I want to be an Anderson/Anderson so badly.