Nov 29, 2006

Don't ask

My number one pet peeve: being asked questions.
The other morning someone was trying to nail down my schedule for the day by asking questions. Not an unreasonable request, by any measure. A very normal request, in fact. Anyway, I responded with "asking me questions is like the number one annoyance in my life right now". (I know, I say 'like' too much. I almost left it out. But I wanted the quote to be true to life.) I didn't realize the truth of that sentence at the time but have since been considering my life's annoyances and I stick by that statement. Of course not every question I'm ever asked jumps to the top of my list of most peeved moments (partly because such a list doesn't exist). But, most of those moments have been when I'm being asked questions. It's not even the big, typical questions (graduating? dating? etc.) or anything. I really wish it didn't bother me so much. Because people asking me questions is going to keep happening for the rest of my life. Why can't I have some really really obscure pet peeve that never really happens but I kind of made it up in case I ever needed one? I don't even know exactly what it is that bothers me so much. Maybe I think they should be able to figure it out for themselves? Maybe I think they should know that I couldn't possibly know the answer? Maybe they've asked me before and should remember? Maybe I'm just really impatient and self-centered? I could never be a teacher. I can't believe I used to want to be a teacher.

4 comments:

hanner said...

Maybe this is a bad time for me to ask you when I can look at your quilt and learn how to machine-quilt.

Anonymous said...

It's genetic. We all hate it. At least some of us. It's really just a matter of which of us can pretend we don't hate it.

Bean said...

I'm no pretender. Ask Doug. Speaking of Doug, he wonders why the Andersons are all like this. (He says it's a symptom of an underlying trait- our need to be as efficient as possible.)

kate said...

everything i do is 'genetic'.