May 15, 2007

Molly Brown, Cinco De Mayo, Regina Spektor

I went to Denver with my sister-in-law Amy the other weekend. We had a great time. We were only there 2.5 days but we just never stopped moving. It kept raining on us but we kept thinking it wasn't worth an umbrella?? We stayed on the 11th floor of The Curtis Hotel which I highly recommend to anyone visiting Denver. We ate at good restaurants and shopped at good shops. Tattered Cover Bookstore was probably my favorite shop and Two Fisted Mario's Pizza was probably my favorite restaurant. Our table doubled as Ms. Pacman (as pictured below) for crying out loud. The Denver Art Museum was super cool. The architecture of the building (designed by Daniel Libeskind) was possibly the best part of it all. The whole downtown was really great. I also loved the Public Library right across from the museum. It was Cinco De Mayo weekend so we traipsed through quite the carnival on one end of town but didn't partake in the funnel cake and bouncy games. Oh, and the Molly Brown House! If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about. But not really, because Hollywood had it almost entirely wrong. Her name's not even Molly (it's Margaret). Still, I cannot resist a good tour through an old historically relevant house. (I'm Rachel's daughter) This is the longest post ever and I haven't even told you about Regina! Regina Spektor is the cutest person I have ever seen in my life. I still don't believe that those sounds were coming from her mouth. And it was just her. Her and the piano, her and her guitar, her and a drumstick on a kitchen chair, her and that cute black dress, her and that bashful curtsy. I'm just saying, I would see her again every weekend if I could. And then, the next night, we saw Damien Rice. Also impressive. Totally different, but impressive. He had a few more people on the stage with him but still, was a little taste of Summer 05 that was very welcome. Some firsts for me during my first trip to Denver: first ride in a taxi, first time ordering room service, first time seeing a Monet or a Picasso in person, first manicure, first time eating at Hard Rock Cafe.





3 comments:

core said...

revelant.

hanner said...

Look, my house is old and historically relevant (we have certificates and plaques to prove it), so when are you going to come visit already??

adam said...

can i come next time?