Oct 1, 2012

As For Me

Carrie says I need to do a post that's not about Gwen once in a while (then, her next sentence was a request for more pictures of Gwen.). The problem is that I don't have any thoughts that aren't about Gwen. Or about brownies. And who wants a post in their google reader every single day that says 'I still love my baby and I still want some brownies.'? Or do you? Anyway, here are some adult things:

Today we took a walk to Target. It's not a great Target but it's still a Target and it's the perfect distance for a good walk. And we got an up-close look at the new Barclays Center on the way. We were hoping Blue Ivy would be at the the Starbucks there but no luck. So anyway, as I was pushing my cart along, with a sleeping baby strapped to my chest, browsing the clothing to my left, this lady coming the other direction stops her cart nose to nose with mine and glares at me and says 'you're supposed to be on the right side' and I said 'uh, I'm looking at these clothes' (on my left side remember) and she said 'I don't care what chu lookin at, you on the wrong side.' (i knew she was serious because she stopped caring about grammar.) And I just kept looking at clothes and she took a big huge sigh/grunt and dramatically moved into the other 6 feet of empty aisle to get around me. I'm all for efficient flow of cart traffic but why do people do stuff like that?

This reminded me of my delivery nurse that just had to give me some advice right after I delivered Gwen. She told me (in her thick Russian accent) that now I know that I can't handle pain and I need to get to the hospital sooner so that I'm not freaking out and yelling and I can get medicine sooner because it makes her job very hard if the patient is going crazy like that. It was a pretty rude thing to say to someone period but especially someone who just had a baby and really especially someone who had unknowingly gone from a 7 to a 10 in the first 45 minutes of being in her delivery room without any pain medication. (and without making any sounds but a few sad wimpers, I swear) Funny that she thought I had any control over what was happening that day. I keep thinking about it and asking Regan if I forgot the part where I was freaking out and yelling and he assures me that never happened. I did get snappy with one woman who came in to ask me the same thing about 7 other nurses had already asked me but come on, I'd do that even if I were in no pain at all.

Hmm, who else has said rude things to me? Jk. I'm done with that. How about a cute thing! When we were walking home today a little girl said to her mom "mom! look at that tiny little foot! (pointing at gwen's tiny little foot) and it really hit me, "whoa. I'm just some lady walking down the street with her baby." It was fairly deep at the time.

And finally, I accidentally dressed Gwen like a big kid today. Remind me to never do that again.

(Seriously, this is it for me these days. This and the brownies.)

11 comments:

Veronica said...

Man, Target is supposed to be a safe haven, free from the troubles of the world. Ugh, lady. And, what a dumb nurse. Reminds me of the lady checking us into the hospital at 3am who said the name Cora sounded like a big fat lady.

lissa said...

where's the photo of gwen? i miss her.

just kidding about the photo (kind of). i like this "as for me" series you have going. I said series so you'll feel pressured to write more posts like this. very tricksy, i know.

brownies are good and easy to make. that's my idea of the perfect treat.

abby said...

This better be a series. I like it.

hanner said...

this is definitely an excellent series. these kinds of posts perfectly illustrate the golden days of blogging, i think. keep it up. but also post more gwen pics if you don't mind.

hanner said...

also, what the heck is up with these nurses? i don't get people.

shayna said...

Hmmm brownies and candy...brownies with candy....candy brownies. I love Gwen's little feet.

Kristine said...

brownies and gwen. i'll have 1 of each thanks!

keep posting whatever you feel like posting cause i love it all.

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh. How'd I never know about your blog? You and Regan and Gwen are the greatest little family. And you are a great writer. I was LOLing all the way through this post.

And that gif! So awesome!! Looks like good times in the big city.

Lauren Swainston said...

It sounds like you are living in the south. Southern women live to give passive agressive life lessons/critical assessments in everything they say. At least there is spanish moss on the trees to make up for the annoyance. We want to visit soon.

Lauren Swainston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
momacita said...

It must be something about Russia. A kid from Lynette's ward married a Russian girl and moved there. During the birth of their first baby, they took our her uterus, without consent from her or her husband (must have been a c-section). Then the nurse told her not to tell her husband because if she couldn't have any more kids, she was of no use to him. God bless the USA!