Feb 3, 2009

do you like apples?

There was this cross-stitch up in our kitchen when I was young. In Henderson for sure, and probably California, maybe it's even still there? Right above the light switches? Mom? I can't remember! Anyway, it has 4 squares, each with a different setting of apples. You know, an apple tree, or a basket of apples, or a sliced apple, it doesn't really matter, you get the point. It's the phrase stitched into the canvas that I remember: Live Within Your Harvest. I think the reason I remember this phrase so well is because it was a bit of a linguistical victory for me when I finally concluded that it was, in fact, Live and not Give Within Your Harvest (you know how tricky some of those stitchery fonts can be). At any rate, that phrase won't get outta my head. It's kinda to 2009 as 'never suppress a generous thought' was to 2008. And although I don't know that my interpretation of the phrase is anything it's ever been generally known as, I already feel like it's serving me well. I just really like the idea of l/giving within my harvest. And not just like, financially, or gardening wise, but like- using up all that I am/have in an efficient way that makes my life and other people's lives better. But not to the extent of self-detriment. Just learning the exact right amount of me to spend on things for maximum happiness for the entire world. Easy, right?

1 comment:

Momacita said...

Katie, that cross-stitch is now a pillow in the living room and I have my nap on it every day (turned over so I don't bother the cross-stitching). Also, hope being that thing with wings is also on a tiny little pillow in the sewing room. You mean those things actually influence you? That's awesome. I'm thinking of making a little book of sayings that I like and that will remind me of things I know and need to actually live by. Maybe you could make it into a book with "signatures" and someone ???? could make little illustrations. Wouldn't that be cool?