Aug 11, 2006

yes. i need to renew my driver's license...

sometimes i answer the phone where i work. and sometimes people think they've called the dmv. i guess, although personal research has failed to prove this point, our numbers are similar. at any rate, the people calling never listen when i say 'struck. this is kate' they just start right in with their questions/problems/concerns. "yes. hi. i need to renew my driver's license next month but the thing is that i'm going to be moving in three months. do you think i should just wait and do it there or is there an easy transfer process. i mean, what types of forms would i need to bring to just have like a temporary license and then get one when i move. is that the best bet?"...breath..."i'm sorry. you've got the wrong number. this isn't the dmv." and then...this is the part that always really gets me...they come back with some type of short remark, always in this 'how dare you not be the dmv' tone. "oh. alright. i'm sure this is the right number. bye" as if i'd tricked them? as if i'd had every 100th call made to the dmv wired to my direct line? just for this very experience? as if, people.

4 comments:

stern mister serious said...

I had to renew my Driver's License recently, and it turns out, in the here and now, that they gave me a Driver License. That's new. But, believe it or not, I don't miss the 's one bit.

kate said...

and i'm the pedant? this whole thing is just some kind of editing exercise for you, isn't it?

stern mister serious said...

Crikey. Alls I was saying is that it was news to me: Going 8 years with the 's, then suddenly losing it. I've got friends from out of state; they still have Driver's Licenses. I just thought it was a peculiar switch.

Also, I like when I type "It was news to Mel" on accident and just pretend that it was news to Mel Gibson.

Let's talk about it in person from here on out to avoid embarrassing mishaps.

kate said...

like we ever talk in person.